Monday, October 31, 2011

Lab4 Introducing ArcMap

It is my first time to really creating a map by using arcGIS and I do think it is a bit hard for me, which is not a computer person at all. I always made mistakes without even knowing why so I would have to go back and check what I did wrong. But I think I would get better when I am more familiar to this software. It is kinda fun       for making my own map though it is not as easy as I thought.

In my opinions, ArcGIS has more potential than its pitfalls, as people nowadays are more aware of the Earth that we are living, ArcGIS provides us more information for both academic or daily use! It made it so much easier to analysis the data that we have in hand and helped a lot for explaining why some kind of phenomena are happening all over the world. It increased productivity with better quality, people can find out where the problems are and they tried to solve it. It put everything in a big picture, people can see it all in a glance!

People can even search things and data easily since people can tell things by seeing the symbols and scales, it would be much more easier than reading books or essays, newspaper could explain more in a big picture then a few paragraphs.

However, there are some pitfalls, too. For example, for me as a new learner for GIS, I have a lot of difficulties in using GIS and it takes a lot time to learn this professions. Not everyone can easily approach this program ! People in university like me and my classmate have to take a lot of classes in order to master in using GIS! And other pitfall is people can use the wrong data or exaggerated data to mislead people, and some time people with little knowledge would get faked by the big companies which have very cunning marketing method! 

No comments:

Post a Comment